Sunday, February 19, 2012

Signed, Sealed, Delivered - Yours?

The other day I had a package I was expecting delivered. I had ordered a vitamin supplement for my kids and was excited to get them started on it. When I opened the package I was extremely disappointed to find that they had sent the wrong flavor. I contacted the company via e-mail and within 30 minutes I had a response with an apology and notice that they were going to send out the correct box plus an extra for my trouble and I could keep the one I had already received. Now that's what I call service! And really, isn't that what I should have expected? OK, maybe they went above and beyond, but I certainly didn't think for a second that I was going to just have to accept the wrong box and I know you wouldn't have either. So why then, when something comes our way that is not from God, do we take it? 


The way I see it, things either come from God or they come from someone else and I only want what God sends my way. So how do I know if the package sitting on my doorstep is from my Heavenly Father? The way to figure that out is to hold it up to the spotlight of His Word. Does what lies in that box line up with who I know God to be? Who God has said He is? Who God has proven Himself to be? 


You know, that's what's so great about God, the One True God. He extends to us a relationship, not some stuffed up religion full of rules and how-to's. Nope, He asks us to personally get to know Him for ourselves. He's not sitting on His throne looking down His nose at us disgusted with our questions and need for answers. He's accessible. He's willing. He actually wants to be known.


Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:31-32


So the next time a package shows up on your door and you're not sure that it's something you should sign for, ask the delivery driver to "hold please" and go ask your Daddy if He sent you that package or if you should 'return to sender'. Cause I have a secret for you, if it's not from Him, you don't have to take it.




"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning." James 1:17








No comments:

Post a Comment

StatCounter

Back to Home Back to Top Black & White and In Between. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.